State of Connecticut
Benefit Information

  833-740-3258   Follow us
For your personal benefits portal:
Log in Create account

Other Benefits

You have access to many additional benefits to save for retirement, protect your family & more…

Note: The Universal Life Program has been discontinued for new enrollment. Current policyholders may contact Voya for support.

Phone 888-909-4274, ext. 1
Death Claims: 800-537-5024, option #2

Defined Contribution Plans

Many families discover — sometimes too late — that their pensions and Social Security income are insufficient after retirement. The state’s Defined Contribution retirement savings plans can help you save for a more financially secure retirement. Defined Contribution Plans are voluntary retirement savings plans that permit you to defer income into the retirement plan either on a pre-tax basis or after-tax (Roth) basis. The plans offer a wide variety of investment options and accept pre-tax funds (rollovers) from other 401, 403(b) and 457(b) governmental plans and traditional IRAs..

457 Plan Eligibility:

Employees are eligible to enroll in the plan on their first day of employment. The minimum contribution is $20 per pay period.

403(b) Plan Eligibility:

Employees are eligible to enroll in this plan on their first day of employment. The minimum contribution is $200 annually, which equals $8 per pay period. Enrollment in the 403(b) Plan is limited to employees of the following agencies:

  • University of Connecticut (including University of Connecticut Health Center)
  • State Universities and Community-Technical Colleges
  • Board of Regents for Higher Education
  • Department of Education, including the Vocational-Technical High Schools
  • Unified School District No. 1 of the Department of Corrections

  • Unified School District No. 2 of the Department of Children and Families and Riverview Hospital
  • Unified School District No. 3 of the Department of Developmental Services
  • Board of Academic Awards
  • Connecticut Valley Hospital

  • Greater Bridgeport Community Mental Health Center
  • Southwest Connecticut Mental Health System
  • Capitol Region Mental Health Center of the Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services
  • Connecticut Mental Health Center

How to Enroll:

Enrollment into either plan is open all year. Empower representatives can assist you in completing an enrollment form and discuss the investment options available to you. You may also obtain an enrollment form online at or call 844-505-SAVE (7283).

Basic Group Life Insurance

Life insurance provides a payment to your beneficiary upon your death. The state offers two group life insurance plans, a basic plan and a supplemental plan..

Description of the Plan

The State of Connecticut offers basic and supplemental group life insurance. For the basic plan, the employee and the state share the cost of the basic life insurance plan. The employee’s premium share is made via payroll deduction. The benefits of the basic life insurance plan are based on your annual salary.

Employees who enroll in the basic plan are also eligible to participate in a “supplemental” life insurance plan, which provides benefits over and above what is available through the basic plan. The cost of the supplemental life insurance plan is paid entirely by the employee via payroll deduction.

For more information about both the basic and supplemental Group Life Insurance plans, see the Bargaining Employee Basic Group Life Plan Document or the Non-Bargaining Employees Extended Basic Group Life Plan Document.

Who’s Eligible

Permanent employees, whether classified or unclassified, full or part-time, may enroll in the basic life insurance plan upon completion of six months of continuous service. Employees not meeting the definition of Section 5-196(20) of the General Statutes of Connecticut, such as seasonal, temporary, intermittent or contractual employees, are ineligible for Group Life Insurance. Provisional employees may be eligible as provided by collective bargaining agreements. Eligibility to participate in the supplemental life insurance requires participation in the basic life insurance plan and either:

    1. Coverage under a collective bargaining agreement which allows for supplemental life insurance coverage; or
    2. A yearly gross compensation of $45,500 or more as an employee exempt from collective bargaining.


When initially hired, or first eligible, you may request participation from your agency’s Human Resources/Payroll benefits office. They will either direct you to your Core-CT eBenefits portal or provide you with a personalized enrollment form. If you waive participation or fail to enroll within 31 days of hire you will be subject to evidence of insurability guidelines.

Flexible Spending Plans

A Flexible Spending Plan allows you to set aside a portion of your earnings, pre-tax, to pay for certain expenses. If you anticipate incurring any of the expenses listed below, a flexible spending account could reduce your costs.

The state offers three types of Flexible Spending Accounts, administered by TASC. They can be reached at 888-698-1429 or

Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP)

DCAP contributions can be used to cover the cost of caring for qualified dependents, including children under the age of 13, a disabled spouse, or other disabled dependents who spend at least eight hours a day in your home. For 2024, the maximum contribution will be $5,000. For married individuals, the spouse must also work or be a full-time student; if you are married filing separately, the maximum contribution will be $2,500 for calendar year 2024.

Medical Flexible Spending Account (MEDFLEX)

MEDFLEX contributions can be used to cover medical expenses for yourself, your spouse and your eligible dependent(s). The minimum deduction for MEDFLEX is $520 per year and the maximum deduction is $3,200 per year. Medically necessary out-of-pocket medical expenses are eligible for reimbursement if they are consistent with IRS guidelines.

ENROLLMENT (for DCAP and MEDFLEX): Eligible employees working at least half time (0.50 FTE-Full Time Equivalent) can enroll in DCAP and MEDFLEX during one of the following periods:

  • Within thirty-one (31) days of  hire;
  • Within thirty-one (31) days of a change in family status*; or
  • The annual open enrollment period. 

USE IT OR LOSE IT:  When setting your annual deductions, do not exceed your anticipated annual expenses. Any monies remaining in your DCAP account at the end of the Plan Year (December 31) will be forfeited unless you submit a claim for reimbursement for eligible plan year expense no later than March 31 of the following year. For MEDFLEX you can carry over up to $640 in unused funds to the following plan year. Unused funds over $640 that have not been claimed for eligible expenses by March 31 will be forfeited.

*Mid-Year Changes (MEDFLEX/DCAP): 
If you have a change in family status, you have 31 days from the date of the status change to modify your MEDFLEX/DCAP.  The change must be consistent with the nature of the family status change.

  • Marriage or divorce;
  • Birth or adoption of a child;
  • Death of a dependent or spouse;
  • The beginning or end of your spouse’s employment;
  • A change from full-time to part-time employment, or vice versa, for you or your spouse
  • A leave of absence taken by you or your spouse; and
  • A significant change in cost or coverage of your Dependent Care Expense. (DCAP only)
  • A child ceases to be an eligible dependent under the Plan (to age 13); (DCAP only)

Qualified Transportation Account (QTA) 

The QTA allows you to use pre-tax dollars to pay eligible transit and parking expenses for your regular daily direct commute from home to work. Eligible expenses include public transit, van pools and/or the cost of parking at or near your work location. Employees working at least half time (0.5 FTE – Full Time Equivalent) are eligible to enroll on their first day of employment. Maximum benefits for both transit and parking are $315 per month.

ENROLLMENT (for QTA only): You can enroll or change your contributions to the QTA on a monthly basis. Unused amounts can be carried over from year to year. The enrollment form must be received by the first of the month before the month in which your contribution election takes effect.

FORFEITURES: Make sure that your monthly deductions match your monthly QTA expenses. There is no annual forfeiture of unused amounts but, if you retire or terminate employment, any funds remaining in the account may be forfeited if you do not submit eligible claims for reimbursement.

Changes do not require a status change. Employees that have an existing employee-offered parking deduction cannot participate. 

CSE Credit Union

The Connecticut State Employees Credit Union (CSE) is a member-owned, not-for-profit institution run strictly for the benefit of members. CSE profits are returned to members in the form of higher dividends on share accounts (savings), lower loan rates, the lowest possible fees and many free services.


Full and part-time State employees can join at any time.


To become a member, complete an application form and include a refundable deposit of $25. Call or visit any branch, or download an application form from the credit union’s website. Send the completed application form back to any branch with a copy of your recent State of CT paystub. If applying in person, also bring two forms of ID, one of which should be a government-issued photo ID.

CSE Credit Union Brochure

Home & Auto Insurance

Home and Auto Insurance protects against the financial loss and/or liability expenses due to an accident, the damage to, or loss of, your automobile, home and/or other personal property.


Available to employees working 17.5 or more hours per week, retirees and spouses1.


The state has selected three vendors to offer auto, home insurance and personal liability umbrella coverage.  You can contact agents at the numbers below to obtain a quote, discuss your coverage options and learn about discounts available to you as a State of Connecticut employee.  This voluntary benefit allows active employees to make premium payments through the convenience of payroll deduction.

Liberty Mutual Insurance

(888) 257-4889

Farmers Insurance

(800) 438-6381


(888) 695-4640 (new enrollment)
(800) 842-5075 (existing clients)

Short-Term Disability Insurance

Short-term disability insurance replaces a portion of income when you are unable to work due to a covered injury or illness.

Colonial Life


Employees are eligible to enroll on their first day of employment, provided they work at least 17.5 hours per week and meet the issue-age requirements of 17-69 years of age.

Guaranteed Coverage:

New employees who enroll during the first 90 days of employment can obtain guaranteed coverage for up to 66 2/3% of salary to a maximum of $4,000 in monthly disability benefit.

Employees enrolling after their initial 90 days of employment can still enroll; however, the guaranteed coverage is up to 66 2/3% of salary to a maximum of $500 in monthly disability benefit.

Employees can apply for coverage up to 66 2/3% of salary up to a $5,000 monthly disability benefit at any time with standard qualifying health questions.

How To Enroll:

A Colonial Life benefits counselor will answer questions about the disability coverage and help you enroll. To request your brief appointment, call 1-800-884-0689, email or visit the State of CT/Colonial Life Disability Benefit website and click “Connect with a Benefits Counselor”.

Lincoln National


Employees are eligible to enroll on their first day of employment, provided they work at least 17.5 hours per week.


Employees can obtain guaranteed coverage (no health questions asked) up to $1,250 per week, not to exceed 70% of the basic weekly gross income. The weekly short term disability benefit will be the amount selected when you enroll.

How To Enroll: 

Call 866-858-1171

Long-Term Disability Insurance

Long-term disability insurance replaces a portion of income when you are unable to work due to a covered injury or illness.


Employees working at least 17.5 hours per week are eligible to enroll for coverage on their first day of employment.

Guaranteed Coverage:

New employees who enroll during the first 60 days of employment can obtain guaranteed coverage.  If you waive participation and choose to enroll after the 60-day period, you will be subject to evidence of insurability guidelines.

This coverage may be of interest to members of Tier II, Tier IIA, Tier III and those on the Hybrid Plan of the State Employee Retirement System, as they are not eligible for non-service related disability retirement benefits before completing 10 years of vesting service.

Long-Term Disability coverage delivers a percentage of your income each month for as long as you remain disabled, or until you reach your Social Security Full Retirement Age, whichever comes sooner.  If your disability occurs at age 63 or later, your payments may be reduced. Benefits from this plan are tax free. Premium payments can be made via payroll deduction.

How To Enroll: 

Call The Hartford at 888-723-8583 or 203-634-2829, email or use the mobile app.

Voluntary Life Insurance

Voluntary Life Insurance provides coverage up to $500,000 for active employees and retirees. Premium rates vary, based on the coverage elected and age group in which the covered individual is positioned. If the insured passes away during the policy term, the death benefit is payable to the designated beneficiary.


You are eligible for Voluntary Life Insurance if you work at least 17.5 hours per week and are enrolled in the Basic Group Life Insurance.

Guaranteed Coverage:  

New employees, under age 60, who enroll within the first 6 months of employment can obtain guaranteed coverage up to $100,000 and up to $30,000 for their spouse.  Employees enrolling after this initial period are subject to evidence of insurability requirements.

How To Enroll: 

Contact Unum Life Insurance Company’s enrollment representatives at 833-703-1967 and note employer code 1357722.

Norton LifeLock

NortonLifeLock provides comprehensive all-in-one identity theft protection, credit monitoring, device security, parental control, credit card and banking monitoring services sending you alerts if they detect potential threats to your identity. Should you become a victim of identity theft, Norton LifeLock will work with you to resolve it.


You are eligible to enroll for Norton LifeLock benefits using payroll deduction if you work at least 17.5 hours per week (excluding those paid on the Special Bi-Weekly pay cycle). State employees that do not meet the minimum hour or pay cycle criteria can enroll for the same Norton LifeLock benefits using direct billing.

How To Enroll: 

Enroll through Norton LifeLock’s Website:

For Enrollment Assistance: Call Norton LifeLock by Phone: (844) 698-8640, Option 2

For Post-Enrollment Member Service: Phone: (800) 607-9174, M-F, 9 am – 7 pm (EST) | Email:

For Emergency After-Hours Assistance: Phone: (800)543-3562, (800-LIFELOCK)

For Pre-Enrollment Benefit Team or General Account Assistance: Phone: (844) 698-8640, Option 2 | Email:


State Employee
Benefits Enrollment