State of Connecticut
Benefit Information

  833-740-3258   Follow us
For your personal benefits portal:
Log in Create account

Defined Contribution Plans

Many families discover — sometimes too late — that their pensions and Social Security income are insufficient after retirement. The state’s Defined Contribution retirement savings plans can help you save for a more financially secure retirement. Defined Contribution Plans are voluntary retirement savings plans that permit you to defer income into the retirement plan either on a pre-tax basis or after-tax (Roth) basis. The plans offer a wide variety of investment options and accept pre-tax funds (rollovers) from other 401, 403(b) and 457(b) governmental plans and traditional IRAs.

457 Plan Eligibility

Employees are eligible to enroll in the plan on their first day of employment. The minimum contribution is $20 per pay period.

403(b) Plan Eligibility

Employees are eligible to enroll in this plan on their first day of employment. The minimum contribution is $200 annually, which equals $8 per pay period. Enrollment in the 403(b) Plan is limited to employees of the following agencies:

  • University of Connecticut (including University of Connecticut Health Center)
  • State Universities and Community-Technical Colleges
  • Board of Regents for Higher Education
  • Department of Education, including the Vocational-Technical High Schools
  • Unified School District No. 1 of the Department of Corrections
  • Unified School District No. 2 of the Department of Children and Families and Riverview Hospital
  • Unified School District No. 3 of the Department of Developmental Services
  • Board of Academic Awards
  • Connecticut Valley Hospital
  • Greater Bridgeport Community Mental Health Center
  • Southwest Connecticut Mental Health System
  • Capitol Region Mental Health Center of the Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services
  • Connecticut Mental Health Center

How to Enroll

Enrollment into either plan is open all year. Empower representatives can assist you in completing an enrollment form and discuss the investment options available to you. You may also obtain an enrollment form online at or call 844-505-SAVE (7283).

Learn More
State Employee
Benefits Enrollment